Friday, November 21, 2008

Chloe is here!

So here's my labor and delivery story...in case anyone was wondering how it went. On Thursday the 13th at 6AM Anibal and I checked into the hospital. They started me on the pitocin and IV fluids right away and found out I was having contractions before the pitocin kicked in...they just weren't effective. Anibal and I took movies so we started watching a movie and then my contractions started. My doctor came in and checked me at 8AM, (I was only 2 centimeters dilated). So, she broke my water and saw that Chloe had a bowel movement inside me so that kind of worried me. After that I started getting a lot more contractions so they gave me this IV pain medication called Nubain which made me feel fantastic...and then called the guy to come do my epidural. They came in and I got in the position they make you get in when they do the epidural and they started putting the needle in. Then I started to get a contraction and you're not supposed to move at all while they're doing that so I think I started to hold my breath.....and I passed out. I woke up to everyone saying, "Andrea! Andrea! Are you still with us???" I guess I was out for about 20 seconds So I was slowly coming back to consciousness and they told me my blood pressure had dropped to 60 over 20 and they had to give me adrenaline to get my blood pumping more. So I had to deal with that great feeling of my heart racing and then they had to redo my epidural because they weren't done when I passed out. UGH! Chloe was fine throughout all of this though. Anibal was pretty freaked out though. So they finished my epidural and hung around to make sure I was okay.
At 3 my Doctor came and checked me again and I was only dilated to a 4 and a half!!! So we waited some more and then my epidural wore off! My legs, back, and stomach were still numb but the area between my thighs and lower back were not! I felt the most terrible pain I've ever felt in my life! They tried to give me more meds in my epidural catherter but nothing helped! They had no idea why it wasn't working for me this time (I think it was because they had an intern do it). My doctor came in and checked me again at 5 and I was a 9! I was crying so much because I hurt so bad and they couldn't do anything. They gave it one last try with some other medicine and it started to kick in right as my doctor told me it was time to start pushing (Around 5:35PM). I had 3 sets of pushing and she was born at 5:44PM. It was the most amazing experience because I wasn't scared this time like I was with Alyssa. Anibal was great through the whole thing! He didn't get grossed out at all and cut the cord, put on the first diaper and helped with the first bath. He is happier than I've ever seen him! They were able to suction all the meconium out of her lungs so there were no problems from that. She weighs 8 lbs 3 ounces and is 21 1/2 inches long! She has tons of hair and is amazing! She didn't hardly cry at all when she was born...she just sort of whined..it was cute. I am so happy she is here and everything went well. We got to go home the next day so that was nice. I'm so grateful to everyone who came and visited us and helped us out by bringing food and meals to us...that really helped me out. I have to say thanks most of all to my best friend in the whole world Anibal...he has always been there for me and was amazing during the birth and has been extraordinary this first week at home! I have two precious daughters, a wonderful man in my life, and tons of great friends and family....what more could I ask for? YAY! Life is beautiful!

1 comment:

Nicole said...

I'm so happy things went well during childbirth. I love that feeling the moment they first come out...pure happiness! Good luck, and I'll see you next month!